Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Daddy's Day

It's Tuesday and I'm back to the blog already! Score! However, the high dresser I mentioned on Friday that was supposed to be making it's grand entrance into our newly made-over master bedroom that evening did not actually make it, as predicted. Brynne had what turned out to be roseola (for the second time, yet again we win the viral lottery, which is nice but we feel like it's ok to let other people win sometimes too, ok God?), so her miserable mood combined with my inability to decide whether the dresser was done or not prevented any progress in that arena. As usual, my perfectionism won the day, and the dresser drawers and inside received a coat of paint last night. I am currently debating whether to re-poly the outside of the dresser or not. Since I'm reading that it is probably a good, it is probably going to happen, which means no dresser for Jason or for this blog for several more days (at least).
Womp Womp.

But anyway, Sunday was Father's Day (duh as we all remember by now). The Wheelers celebrated our dads with as much fanfare as we could handle amongst our grumpy toddlers limitations. We visited Pappy on Sunday morning, spent Sunday afternoon with Daddy, and Sunday evening with Pawpaw. I was busy running out for paint supplies and gifts in between, so there aren't many pictures. However, in the afternoon lull I did manage to catch some snaps of one of the most involved dads I know making sure his babies were ready for some fun in the sun. See for yourself...

This appears to just be a regular dad putting sunscreen on his child.
Props to Bradley for another photobomb.

However, on closer inspection, we see that this is not such a simple task...

Because trying to put sunscreen on a one-year-old with even coverage without getting it in her eyes or hair is what I imagine it must be like to try to catch a small fish covered in vaseline with one's bare hands.
Challenging.

And here comes Round 2. Older Toddler realizes what's happening at the outset and begins his protest early.
Don't worry Brynne, you'll learn.

But ultimately decides it's not that bad, so he's going to jump and thrash and laugh about it.
So in this instance, it's less about catching a slimy fish and more about wrangling a wild bull made of glass.



Until it's time to put on the unnecessarily-complicated mesh-lined swim trunks. Protest, resumed.
Dear clothing manufacturers: Such heavy mesh in a toddler swim trunk is not needed. That's what swim diapers are for. So now you've gotten that memo.

After Daddy took care of all that without blinking an eye, the Tods were cut loose in the yard...

The water table, also known as the cure-anything-that-ails-Brynne remedy.
Incidentally, the pacifier goes by the same name.

Roseola was no match.
However, the roseola did manage to beat out infant advil, any kind of food or drink, and Mommy and Daddy's cuddles. So, it's not a total loss for the virus.

This is the face of determination. And focus.

And this is the face of speed.
All traits inherited from Daddy!
There's really no question about that, as Mommy has none of those things naturally.

Meanwhile, Jason had the grill getting ready for Father's Day smoked-ribfest. Yes, he made his own dinner on Father's Day, and yes, it was truly glorious.
I have the Tods and many things to do. And he wanted to do it himself, honest!


Sorry there's no picture of the ribs. They got scarfed too quickly I was too busy to take a picture when the food hit the table.
Toddlers people, Toddlers.

Then some visitors showed up...

Brady knew a photo was happening and started his premeditated tantrum. Luckily Jason's cell phone camera caught a split second what appears to be happiness.
Remember, as far as anyone knows, we're just a nice, normal family.

Oh, and did I mention that I started out the morning by spray-painting an antique faux gold mirror a high gloss white? A belated birthday gift for my BFF, who visited from CT and antique shopped all day with me on Saturday. It was the most fun I have had in awhile. Happy 30th Birthday, my Kendiepoo!

He then proceeded to follow me into the garage and ruin two different projects I was working on in less than 3 seconds flat (I exaggerate not).
The kid has talent.

The finished product. Sorry there's no before pic, I'm still not thinking in blog form yet.
I got less than 6 hours of sleep in 3 days due to a baby who takes personal affront to illness. Your patience is appreciated.

So that was our Sunday. Sun, spray, dads, ribs, and lots of desserts.
And a special thank you to my future sister in-law for the best Gooey Butter Cake the world has ever seen, memories of which have become my new "happy place."

The next post may include a story and a photo essay about a French Provincial chest of drawers that's been painted. However, this statement should not be considered a promise and is therefore not binding.

No comments :

Post a Comment